Goddard Court is one of three examples of a “California Bungalow Court” in Des Moines. Its construction in 1916 coincides with the first national appearance of the bungalow court concept. The original construction consisted of eleven bungalows and one pre-existing cottage arranged into a cul-da-sac that exited onto 14th street, half a block north of University Avenue.
One bungalow has since been lost to a fire.
Though the subdivision was platted in 1900, a single developer was not identified for Goddard Bungalow Court. Rather, after being platted, the lots sold individual between 1906 and 1908. Homes did not appear until c. 1916, when addresses first appear in City Directories.
Charles W. Goddard, the apparent namesake of the court, resided at 1614 12th Street, two blocks east of the court, as of 1916.